Model Measurements – Discover the Height, Bust, Hips, And Waist sizes of Female Runway Models!
Last time, we tackled the measurements commonly required of male runway models and some of the other Types of Modeling! Now, let’s check out what measurements you’ll need if you’re considering a career as a female runway model. These aren’t by any means the absolute requirements for high fashion runway models, but these are good numbers to consider helping you better frame your expectations and calculate your chances.
- According to the British AMA (Association of Model Agents), the minimum height for a female model should be 5’8”. The safe range commonly stands at 5’9” to 5’11”. Keep in mind that, as with males, sometimes candidates can still get signed even if they’re an inch shorter or taller than the designated range as long as they show they have the looks and the flair to make it work on the runway.
Weight and Build
- Being between 115-130 lbs. would be a good range for female runway models’ weight. Do note that, as we’ve mentioned in the male runway model measurements article above (Model Measurements), weight can look different depending on the individual.
- A thin and slender build is generally what’s being required for the runway (If you’re that tall and that light, you’re likely very slender already). While the industry is still perceived as fielding models that are too thin, and runway modeling is still associated with eating disorders and unhealthy habits, many firms are now going with curvy models to keep things balanced and promote better eating habits.
Average Model Measurements
- The British AMA lists 34-24-34 as the ideal model measurements for runway models, while other sources provide ranges of 32-34 inches for the bust around 26 inches for the waist, and around 35-36 inches for the hips. Again, the particulars will depend on the agency you’re going to audition for as well as the suitability to a particular gig or niche.
- Numbers can be fickle, and there are times when the measurements don’t really translate into body proportions as they appear in the real world. Sometimes, these prescribed numbers change from time to time, too. The numbers above just happen to be the current set agencies are going with today.
Beyond the Numbers
- You’ve probably heard about the rest of the package—clear skin, good looks, striking facial features, and nice hair, among others. These things can’t be encapsulated by numbers, so you be the judge. Better yet, have your friends or even your agent be the judge.
There you have it—a quick rundown of the measurements you need to have if you’re eyeing a successful career on the runway. Are your measurements within the prescribed numbers? Good for you, and good luck on your tryouts.
Should you find that the runway is simply not for you, there are still other markets you may decide to explore. If you love the job and know you have what it takes, don’t be afraid to try other avenues. If your body doesn’t adhere to the model measurements mentioned above, you can still see if you have the X-factor needed to overcome the physical mismatch. God Bless.
Jonah Taylor, May God Bless your modeling journey!
p.s. If you fit these numbers and or simply want to give modeling a shot, check out the How To Become A Model Guide and get started on your modeling journey today!
And if you find that you do not meet some of the required measurements but are still wondering, “Do I Have What It Takes To Be A Model?“ check out the many different types of modeling and see which one fits you best!!
You may find that the genre of modeling you like most is not the best fit, but that another fits you just perfect! So Get checking!!!
P.S. Modeling Wisdom is only an informational blog. It is NOT a modeling agency and cannot tell you whether you have what it takes to model or not. Modeling Wisdom CAN, however, provide you with the necessary steps to give modeling a try if you would still like to give modeling a shot! In the end, the only person who can tell you that you don’t have a shot is yourself. Believe in yourself and don’t stop until you have achieved your goal, no matter what they say!!